Saturday, June 9, 2007

Kalaw

After the intense plus 40 degree heat of Mandalay, we decided to head for the hills. The logical next step was Kalaw, a small town at roughly 1000 meters. British officials used to make the same exact trip to escape the heat of the central plains. Thanks to our good friend LP we found out we could trek to Inle Lake, which was our next stop anyway, and Austin and I do enjoy a good hike.

Collecting bottles at the Mandalay bus station.

A novice monk takes a break in the shade.


Local transport in Mandalay.



At the market in Kalaw.

One of the many "Basic Education Middle Schools" in Burma.

At the fire station.




Trains in Myanmar are notoriously slow. You could probably get around faster by walking along the tracks.


Advertising in Myanmar is hilarious!




The Everest Nepali Restaurant in Kalaw serves up delicious curry and chapati meals.


An old colonial building on the main strip. Check out Austin's blog to see what's left of the washrooms.


We met this friendly old lady two times during the day. When I took a photo she held out a little tin pot, which I thought was for money. When I went to throw in a little change, I found that inside there was chicken curry. I guess she was just offering some up. These are the sort of people you meet in Burma.

-- Will

2 comments:

Charles R. Cherry said...

Regarding the caption below the last photo, I can heartily attest to the truth of the statement.

We were in Yangon in December, riding on one of the many WWII era buses that the Japanese had left behind.

A poor old man climbed on, clutching a small bag of grapes. I offered him my seat, but he refused, smiling. We chit-chatted (through my interpreter) and pretty soon he offered me his grapes.

I politely refused, knowing that this was probably the only fruit that he would eat that day, yet humbled by his generosity in the midst of his poverty.

Anonymous said...

How can you tell someone is poor and that a bunch of grapes are the only fruit someone will eat? Maybe it is us who are poor for having a limited lens with which we view others through?